How many times have we happened to look on a delicate garment label and not be sure of the correct meaning?
The fear of ruining your last purchase for a wrong wash is understandable, it happens to everyone, including us.
Knowing these symbols will help you take care of yourself and prolong the life of your clothing.
WHERE ARE THESE SYMBOLS?
Usually t-shirts are sewn or printed on the inside of the collar or along the inner seam of your garment, this also applies to sweatshirts and jackets.
In addition to our logo, we also indicate this on our personal label:
- Size (which we recommend to always compare with the dedicated size guide),
- Place from which the leaders are conceived,
- Place of production,
- Composition of the fabric,
- International symbolism for correct treatments,
- A word of advice when in doubt, mom is always mom!
So we decided to create this article to help you with the meaning of the washing symbols and not just your clothes. You will also find these symbols on blankets, hats, carpets, towels,…
SYMBOLS TYPOLOGY WASHING
- First three symbols indicate that the garment is designed to be machine washed, the second symbol is usually present on synthetic garments that can be washed up to 60 ° and having this particular consistency in the fabric will be sufficient to obtain a dry garment when you open the door, the third symbol instead indicates that you must pay special attention if you want to proceed with a washing machine.
- Fourth symbol advises that it is preferable to wash exclusively by hand, almost always for a delicacy on the fabric (cashmere, silk or wool) or on the workmanship applied on it, remember not to use a water temperature higher than 40°, not to rub and not to squeeze them.
- Fifth symbol does not allow you to wash this fabric in water, almost always it is leather, so we recommend dry cleaning, we report the symbols that accompany it in the following paragraphs.
- Sixth symbol is usually combined with that of hand washing because, as we said, these are delicate garments, so when you see the symbol of not squeezing on the label remember to pay particular attention, do not rub or squeeze after washing but hang on the clothesline after a delicate wash.
SYMBOLS WASHING TEMPERATURES
When we talk about the meaning of the washing symbols among the most common we find that of the tray with the indicated temperatures. We have also highlighted a variant of it that we can sometimes find, that of the black dots. In the following explanation you will no longer panic.
These symbols, as you can guess from the numerical one, symbolize the washing machine temperatures. Sometimes there is no numerical indication but you will find yourself seeing black dots. The temperatures indicated are to indicate the maximum temperature limit. So in case of 60° you are not obliged to wash at 60° but at 60° or less.
BLEACH WASHING SYMBOLS
- The triangle symbol shows on the head the possibility to wash with diluted and cold bleach.
- Second symbol as can be seen from the X above creates a ban on bleaching.
- Third and fourth symbols mean that the product can be washed with chlorine-free bleach to preserve colours.
These symbols indicate whether your shirt can be hung up to dry. In a vertical or horizontal position, if it is recommended to dry it in the shade, whether it is a garment that should be hung or not. Even the most famous and symbol that we all look for on a label is the square symbol with a circle with an X on the inside. The latter means that this clothing will be ruined if dried in the dryer.
While these symbols relate to the detail of drying in a tumble dryer. When you find a circle contained in a square it means that the garment is suitable for this type of drying. If the circle contains dots, it indicates the temperature allowed for tumble drying. One dot for low temperatures, two dots indicate medium temperatures, three dots indicate high temperatures. The full circle inside the square as seen with the X above prohibits tumble drying.
- First symbol with the stylized iron indicates that the clothing examined is suitable for ironing.
- Second symbol, which unlike the first one represents an iron with a cross, warns that it is not possible to iron, usually found on materials that are not resistant and with particularly delicate processing.
- Third, fourth and fifth symbol where there are one, two or three dots inside the iron indicates that the garment cannot be ironed at temperatures not exceeding 110°, 150° and 200°.
- Sixth and last symbol of this section indicates that the garment must be ironed without the use of steam from the iron, so you only need to iron it with the hot plate.
DRY CLEANING SYMBOLS
Linked to the paragraph above where we explained the meaning of the washing symbols even in the presence of bleach bleach, this can be defined as a further explanation.
The normal circle is to indicate that the garment is suitable for dry cleaning, when it contains an A indicates that any type of solvent will not affect the clothing you want to wash, if it contains a P you can use all types of solvent except tetrachloroethylene, when you have the circle with an F inside you can use only solvents that contain petroleum while if you find a W inside a circle you can perform dry cleaning but using water.
We hope we have made you some clarity with this guide on the meaning of the washing symbols on clothing labels. We remind you that if you want to preserve your garment carefully follow the icons shown. In this way you will see that the longevity of your favourite sweatshirt will surprise you. For your washings we suggest you to divide the whites, from the blacks and colors, the latter, if you have the possibility, divide them in turn by shades (do not wash together the blues with the yellows, rather wash them with violets). Always use colour-catching wipes. Be very careful when you put a red in the washing machine, you never know what will come out, better than Russian roulette.